Things You Can Do Today To Leave a Legacy
1. Prepare a will. Without a will you lose control over your property at death.
2. Leave a gift in your will for the organizations that made a difference in your life. Imagine the positive impact on our community if everyone made a gift from their estate to their favourite charity.
3. Leave a specific dollar amount or a percentage of the assets in your will to your choice charity. Learn about the many tax advantages associated with making a planned gift as part of your financial and estate planning.
4. Consider using both cash and/or assets for your charitable gift. Assets include but are not limited to, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, term deposits, real estate, vehicles, art, jewelry, or insurance. Such gifts may even provide tax incentives.
5. Name a chairty as a beneficiary of your RRSP, RRIF or pension.
6. Name your favourite organization as the beneficiary of an existing or paid-up life insurance policy.
7. Purchase a new life insurance policy naming a charity as the beneficiary.
8. Remember loved ones with memorial gifts.
9. Encourage family and friends to leave gifts to organizations in their wills.
10. Ask your financial or estate planning advisor to include charitable gifts as part of their counsel to clients.