For National Bereavement Day, November 20, we’ve put together a list of items for a Grief Care Kit you can easily make, to help express your condolences.
Feel free to modify the outline of the kit and include a handout with an explanation for each item.
Grief Care Kit:
1. Tissues: it’s ok to cry
2. Chocolate: sometimes we need comfort food
3. Jokes: humour can help us feel lighter
4. Candle and matches: light a candle in memory of your loved one
5. Blanket or stuffed animal: comforting ourselves physically can help us emotionally
6. Adult colouring pages and pencil crayons: distractions can help us cope
7. Journal: write down thoughts or remember loved ones
8. Mourner’s Bill of Rights: you have permission to grief
9. Grounding stone: a stone to hold when you need help feeling grounded or back in the moment
10. Pilgrims Hospice phone number 780-413-9801: for those who would like to consider professional support